Current Status and Plans
Welcome to my home page, and thanks for visiting!
I’m currently working as the technical lead for the Pet Insight Project, an exciting project at Whistle, hoping to improve the lives and health of millions of pets. Previously, I worked at Creare Engineering R&D, and then did consulting work after a pretty interesting stretch of travel, meditation, and work activities around the world.
Open Source Projects
Unfortunately, the vast majority of my work is proprietary. But, I hope to do a lot more open-source work in the future, and a few existing projects are below (see also my github repos).
- FilterNet Github Repo – This repo contains the code used for our FilterNet paper (a deep learning model for time series classification).
- Motorshed ( Github Repo ) – Motorshed is an open-source project to explore and visualize traffic patterns using beautiful, stylized maps. A Motorshed Map shows the flow of traffic to (or from) a single point on the map (origin point), from (or to) every other point on the map.
- Hypothetical ( Github Repo ) – A web app that helps you to explore how your cash flow situation might change in different hypothetical life events — e.g., moving to a new state, changing jobs, or having kids. It’s a work in progress, but it’s fun to play with. Written with Angular2 / Bootstrap 4.
- nbserve – A python library that lets you serve Jupyter/iPython notebooks as read-only HTML files over the web. One of the key differences between nbserve and other options (like nbviewer) is that it lets you run the files as they’re being served, allowing you to create dynamic, always-up-to-date ‘reports’. I wrote this to help bridge the gap between exploratory data analysis and creating up-to-date, client-ready HTML reports.
- OpenBCI Python GUI ( Github Repo ) My (now deprecated) Python GUI for the OpenBCI “Open Source Brain-Computer Interface”. I developed this in 2013 at Creare during a collaboration with the OpenBCI guys, and it was eventually open sourced. I think it’s a nice example of a concise Enthougth Traits-UI based GUI, and it contains an example of how to package a Traits GUI as a Windows Executable (see setup.py), which can be really frustrating.
- TabSINT ( Github Repo ) https://creare-com.github.io/tabsint/ I was the architect and lead developer for the original version of this software when I worked at Creare. It is the user interface side of a complete audiometric screening platform. It was further developed and then turned into this awesome open-source project by a great group of developers and engineers at Creare. Unfortunately, all of my commits were squashed before it was open-sourced. Uses AngularJS, Bootstrap, and Cordova.
I also keep a page of old, random school work here, mostly because people who are searching Google seem to find the stuff useful.
- Cycling with Sarah August 30, 2016
- Biking Montana, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton August 29, 2016
- Cycling Eastern Oregon and Going to Nate’s Wedding August 3, 2016
- Crossing the Cascades: Or, a Day in the Life of a Novice Bike Tourist. July 3, 2016
- Cycling the Western Half of the Transamerica: Coastal Oregon. June 28, 2016
- Peru: 10 Days on the Tourist Circuit June 22, 2016
Random Quote or Poem
How to cure bad water? Send it back to the river.
How to cure bad habits? Send me back to you.
When water gets caught in habitual whirlpools,
dig a way out through the bottom
to the ocean. There is a secret medicine
given only to those who hurt so hard
they can’t hope.
The hopers would feel slighted if they knew.
Look as long as you can at the friend you love,
no matter whether that friend is moving away from you
or coming back toward you.